Welcome! I’m a philosopher working as a Professor of Ethics at Oslo Metropolitan University.
Most of my research is in practical ethics: I try to find better ways to think about thorny ethical problems, and to present my findings in academic articles that are accessible to non-specialists. Some of my work:
- Palliative Farming in Journal of Ethics (with K. Devolder) NEW!
- The Ethics of Wild Animal Suffering in Nordic Journal of Applied Ethics
- Judicial Corporal Punishment in Journal of Ethics & Social Philosophy
- The Unabomber’s Ethics in Bioethics
- Book review: Michael Huemer’s ‘The Problem of Political Authority’ in Philosophical Quarterly
- The Ethics of Relationship Anarchy in Routledge Handbook of Sex & Sexuality (with A. Sørlie)
- Pedophilia & Computer-Generated Child Pornography in Palgrave Handbook of Philosophy & Public Policy (with A. Sterri)
- Paying for Sex: Only for People with Disabilities? in Journal of Medical Ethics (with B.D. Earp)
- Is Prostitution Harmful? in Journal of Medical Ethics
- Pessimism Counts in Favor of Biomedical Enhancement in Neuroethics
- Individual Solutions to Social Problems in Journal of Medical Ethics
- The Case for Cryonics in Journal of Medical Ethics
Ethical theory and methodology
- Why Good Work in Philosophical Bioethics Often Looks Strange in Theoretical Medicine and Bioethics NEW!
- The Ethics of Emergencies in Philosophical Studies (with A. Sterri)
- An Argument for Intrinsic Value Monism in Philosophia
- An Argument for Hedonism in Journal of Value Inquiry
- The Unity and Commensurability of Pleasures and Pains in Philosophia
- Is Life the Ultimate Value? in Reason Papers
For more about my work, see my CV. Besides being a philosopher, I’m a queer parent, a first-generation academic, and an aspiring novelist.